- Store Herc-Alloy 800 chain slings on A-frames or wall racks in a clean dry place.
- Lightly oil Herc-Alloy 800 chain slings before prolonged storage.
- Never heat-treat Herc-Alloy 800 chain slings.
- Always inspect a chain sling before use to ensure it is free from damage or wear.
- Ensure that the load is evenly distributed on all sling legs.
- Ensure that the chain is free of twists and is protected from any sharp corners on the load.
- Commence the lift slowly, taking up the slack gradually.
- When lowering, avoid the possibility of crushing the chain by ensuring that the load does not land on it.
- It is important to inspect chain slings regularly and that a record is kept for each chain sling.
- Chain sling inspection record cards are available from PWB Anchor Ltd and Herc-Alloy 800 chain and fitting distributors free of charge.
- If necessary, clean the sling before inspection.
- Every chain link should be individually inspected for signs of wear, twisting, stretching, nicks, or gouging, and any worn link measured to determine degree of wear.
- Oblong links and hooks should be inspected at their load bearing points for signs of wear or distortion, eg widening of hook throat opening.
- Defective chain links or fittings should be clearly marked to indicate rejection, and the chain sling withdrawn from service until repaired.
- Connector should be inspected for any signs of wear at their load bearing points, for excessive play of the load pin withing the body halves and for impaired rotation of the body halves around the load pin. (Note: when reassembling
- Hammerlok™ or Couplok™ it is recommended that a new pin and stud assembly be used.
- Enter all results in the sling inspection record card.
Every care has been taken to ensure the accuracy of information contained in this document which supersedes earlier publications, however PWB Anchor Ltd shall not be liable for any loss or damage howsoever caused arising from the application of such information. PWB Anchor Ltd maintains a policy of progress development of products and reserves the right to alter without notice, the specifications shown within this document.
™Herc-Alloy, Hammerlok, Couplok, Max A Lok, Latchlok & Pinlok are trademarks of PWB Anchor Limited.
YOKE is a registered trademark of YOKE Industrial Corp used by PWB Anchor Limited with the permission of YOKE Industrial.
Dimensions & Masses subject to commercial tolerances & design changes without notice.